Tuesday 1 January 2013

Jay Chou's OPUS 12 十二新作: My review



Finally listened to all the tracks properly and gosh, I love OPUS 12!!
Very satisfying album, when compared with Exclamation Mark.

Here are the tracks again:

http://jaychoudiaoness.blogspot.sg/2012/12/opus-12-audiomvs.html

And the tracklist as on the album:

1. Four Seasons Train (四季列車) (si ji lie che)
2. Sign Language (手語) (shou yu)
3. Eunuchs Tend To Have Headaches (公公偏頭痛) (gong gong pian tou tong)
4. Obviously (明明就) (ming ming jiu)
5. Giggle (傻笑) (sha xiao)
6. A Rather Large Cello (比較大的大提琴) (bi jiao da de da ti qin)
7. Love You No Different (愛你沒差) (ai ni mei cha)
8. Worldly Tavern (紅塵客棧) (hong chen ke zhan)
9. Dream Activated (夢想啟動) (meng xiang qi dong)
10. Big Ben (大笨鐘) (da ben zhong)
11. You Are Everywhere (哪裡都是你) (na li dou shi ni)
12. Ukulele (烏克麗麗) (wu ke li li)


For starters, Four Seasons Train 四季列车 (si ji lie che) is THE best Track 1 of all, amongst the last three albums (or which the title tracks did not really engage me). It's classic Jay with the sound of the train and the haunting background music, coupled with his awesome rapping. I have the same grouse that it's too short but there's nothing we can do about that.
I can't stop going "Wu wu" and "Du du"...lol! 9/10



Jay promised more piano ballads and he delivered!
Three to be exact!
You Are Everywhere, Obviously and No Difference Loving You.
Each is incredibly romantic and tears at my heart when I listen.

You Are Everywhere 哪里都是你 (na li dou shi ni)is very heartfelt and I can so see myself crying when it's played during The Rooftop.
True, Jay's high notes can get a little pitchy but it's raw and emotional and the melody is beautiful, not to mention the lyrics. 9/10

Obviously 明明就 (ming ming jiu) is the best of the three, for me.
Strong yet simple melody, marvellous rendition and I just love the ending where he goes into "ming ming jiu, ming ming jiu, ming ming jiu"...gives me goosebumps! 9.5/10

No Difference Loving You 爱你没差 (ai ni mei cha) is just classic Jay; reminds me a little of I Weep, My Emotions are In Bits and Pieces from The Era. 9/10



He also gave us a beautiful zhong guo feng song in Worldly Tavern 红尘客栈 hong chen ke zhan), which I love but it still cannot surpass Ju Hua Tai (Chrysanthemum Flower Bed), Qing Hua Ci (Blue and White Porcelain) and Fa Ru Xue (Hair Like Snow) for me. 8/10
As for Gong Gong Has Headache公公偏 头痛 (gong gong pian tou tong)..haha...hilarious song with funny steps which Jay choreographed and I've been mimicking...lol! Thumbs up for a cheeky irreverent take on ancient China! 8.5/10


Uniquely Jay song for this album is of course, A Bigger Cello 比较大的大提琴 (bi jiao da de da ti qin) in which he puts his own inimitable stamp on 1920s big band music and the MV is AMAZING! The melody is infectious and gets me moving without a doubt.
It's on par with Free Instructional Video for me, amongst his quirky songs. :) 9.5/10


Lively, breezy and uplifting songs form the rest of the album.

Giggle 傻笑 (sha xiao),with Cindy is a nice duet, which works for me. 8.5/10

Ukelele 乌克丽丽 (wu ke li li) is really cute and kawai, yet not too childish. This little instrument seems to have seen an upsurge in its popularity in recent years and in fact, I've been wondering if Jay would play this soon, since he can play guitar. I can't wait for this MV and to see him playing it during his next round of solo concerts. :) 8.5/10

Big Ben 大笨钟 (da ben zhong) is a catchy, jaunty number which is very enjoyable and Jay looks really impish in the MV. :) 8/10

Dreams Start 梦想启动 (meng xiang qi dong), is an uplifting song, featuring Jay, Lang Lang and Taiwanese marathoner, Kevin Lin! With that Rachmaninoff piano intro (played by Lang Lang, no less!), this song definitely makes me "Go go go!"...watch for this MV! 8/10
Trivia: The piano excerpt is from Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto in C minor, Opus 18, Moderato.

Sign Language手语 (shou yu) with its totally romantic and Jay-ish lyrics just makes me smile and this is another one which the MV should be interesting to watch. I think he managed the autotune nicely without overdoing it. This song reminds me of Mine Mine and Love Is Sweet (which he wrote for Super Junior) but it still stands well on its own. 8.5/10


Come to think of it, I love every single song on this album, unlike most of his other albums where there would be one or more tracks which I would fast forward if listening to the album as a whole.

I think there should be a Golden Melody Award or two somewhere in there. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment