Thursday 5 July 2012

Chou Style: Songs for other artistes

I heard two Jay songs on the radio this morning from two different stations! *smiles broadly*
One was Superman Can't Fly.
The other was Summer by Nicky Lee, written by Jay, and one of my fave songs which he wrote for other artistes.

As is well known, Jay started out as a songwriter and and to date, his list of compositions for other singers is comparable to the number of songs which he performed himself for his own studio albums.

I have painstakingly compiled as many of these as I could find on my youtube channel here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5D4764D8A477D2C4&feature=plcp

Of course, I have some favourites and would very much like to share them here.
Some of them are performed by Jay himself at his concerts; most are by the artistes he wrote for.


First up, Rooftop. This is from 1999, originally performed by Jacky Wu and Landy Wen but I like this version from Landy's concert with Jay singing.






You Are Happier Than In The Past, also from 1999 and sung by Jacky Wu. I prefer Jay's voice here, though....yes, I'm so biased!







Another 1999 song was The Sound Of Rain for Jody Chiang which she sings in Taiyu (the Taiwanese vernacular).
 





The next one is one of my absolute faves, from 2000, this is Genie Of The Night Sky sung by Leo Ku. The melody is SO beautiful and Leo's voice really does it justice. :)







Jay wrote Tell Fortune for Jacky Cheung in 2001, a very cool rap song which the God Of Song performed admirably, in a change from his usual style. Kudos to him!






Love love LOVE this song which he wrote for Jordan Chan in 2003 viz Waste of Space! Jay sang it at his HK concert in Cantonese...beautifully! Never get tired of hearing this one!






A-du is a Singaporean singer whom Jay wrote this song, entitled Give In and delivered the demo to him by plane! Circa 2003:







I love this one for Nan Quan Ma Ma viz Disintegrate, from 2004. Very haunting.







Also from 2004, this is Rewind which he wrote for Jolin Tsai but I like his version better:







Jay wrote Self Hypnosis in 2005 for his good friend, Show Luo, who was having a stressful time and difficulty sleeping:






I love this next song which Jay wrote for Heavenly King, Aaron Kwok in 2006 viz Love:






Jay once wrote Nunchucks for A-mei, which she rejected. But not this next song, written for her in 2007 is just so her...If You Also Heard. Love her voice here!






From 2007 comes another very beautiful song in a zhong guo feng style, Xiao Xiao, for Joey Yung. I love this one very much too.






In 2010, Jay wrote and performed this very touching song with Chris Hung, entitled A-ba (Father) for a movie about Hung Senior. The Hung family were prominent in the Taiwanese entertainment industry.





The song I mentioned at the beginning of this post is from 2010, for Nicky Lee viz Summer. It's very Jay-style but eminently suited for Nicky's voice although I can imagine Jay singing this one very well too!





Jay composed a song for popular Korean group, Super Junior in 2011 viz Love Is Sweet, a very nice Jay-esque number. :)





Another lovely song for Aaron Kwok in 2011, Love is Never-Ending:












So there you have it...my personal fave list of songs which Jay wrote for other artistes.

Feel free to tell me yours!









2 comments:

  1. hello I'm Penny. so amazing,I hope one day we can see his concert/ title 'I sing ur song(that I composed) how cool! Big thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks you! i loved Jay's music

    ReplyDelete